SGSAH Doctoral Researcher Committee Terms of Reference 2023/24
Updated February 2023
The Scottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities has established doctoral researcher representation as part of our governance structure to ensure that we are relevant and responsive to the needs of our stakeholders, as well as working to shaping the future of doctoral research training across the arts and humanities in Scotland.
Doctorial researcher representatives must be a full or part time doctoral researcher in arts and humanities at one of the seventeen SGSAH member HEIs (see https://www.sgsah.ac.uk/about/whoweare/members). Terms of office will be for one year in the first instance but may be renewed annually for up to three years in total. Existing DRC members may extend their term beyond PhD submission as alumni for 1 year.
All positions are unremunerated; however, SGSAH will cover all approved associated out of pocket expenses (e.g., costs associated with attending in person meetings, including childcare, etc. See carers policy https://www.sgsah.ac.uk/policy/carers-policy/)
Representatives will have the opportunity to participate in aspects of the SGSAH training programme and will be expected to work with their peers and our partners to build effective research communities to support doctoral researchers. See link for details of our governance structure.
Purpose of Doctoral Researcher Representation
- To ensure that doctoral researchers have an active voice and agency within SGSAH
- To bring new perspectives to enhance the PhD experience all arts & humanities PhD researchers in Scotland
- To represent viewpoints and ideas of PhD researchers in the arts & humanities in Scotland
- To better understand and appreciate the needs of arts & humanities PhD researchers in Scotland and stakeholders by working together
Doctoral researcher representation comes under five headings:
- Doctoral Researcher Committee (2 positions representing each HEI). Executive Committee, Equality Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Discipline + Catalyst and Knowledge Exchange Hub representation will be derived from the overarching Doctoral Researcher Committee
- SGSAH Executive Committee (2 positions, 1 SGSAH funded Student, 1 non-funded) These student members will also be co-Chairs of the Doctoral Researcher Committee
- Equality Diversity and Inclusion Committee (2 positions, 1 SGSAH funded, 1 non-funded)
- Discipline + Catalysts (2 positions per catalyst: 1 SGSAH Funded, 1 non-funded)
- Knowledge Exchange Hubs (2 positions per hub: 1 SGSAH Funded, 1 non-funded)