Movement of AHRC DTP Students

Each member HEI must notify SGSAH staff of any changes to the awarded students at their institution. This includes any transfers to another institution.

The SGSAH recognises that sometimes a doctoral researcher will need to be transferred to another HEI – for example, when their primary supervisor moves and a suitable replacement cannot be found. All AHRC DTP-funded doctoral researchers must be supervised by an appropriately qualified team, comprised of at least two supervisors. Any decision to transfer must be based on the student’s best interests. The financial implications and processes to follow are set out below.

In general, where the student moves to an HEI which has AHRC DTP member status, regardless of which consortium, the budget for that student will follow them to the new home HEI and all terms and conditions of the grant awarded will remain the same. The new home HEI must be also be made aware of and agree to any co-supervision arrangements.   

Transfers within the Scottish AHRC DTP

Transfers, including financial arrangements, should be agreed between the relevant HEIs. SGSAH should be informed of the arrangements by email by the administrative contact for the incoming HEI, copied to the administrators of the outgoing HEI and any other HEIs involved in the supervisory team, and to the academic supervisory team.

For some Scottish DTP members the loss of a student may mean that they are unable to fulfil their co-funding obligations for that cohort. Because SGSAH budgets for 50% of the funding for these students, this would normally mean that the new home HEI would have to take on the co-funding obligation, ie that the new home HEI would receive 50% of the fees and stipend for the remainder of the studentship. If other arrangements are to be made, including for instance the outgoing HEI continuing to meet the co-funding requirement, these should be agreed in advance by the relevant HEIs. The student must not under any circumstances be required to make any contribution to the studentship.

Transfers to other UK DTPs

For students transferring to an HEI within another DTP, the funding for that student will transfer from the AHRC DTP Scotland to the new host DTP.  Again, co-funding obligations should be taken into account in determining the transfer of funding, noting that the SGSAH budget for a co-funded student will be 50% of the full fees and stipend.  Any increase on this amount must be agreed in advance with SGSAH before the transfer is finalised.

Where the transfer is straightforward ie co-funding is either not relevant or has been agreed with the other UK DTP, we will require formal email confirmation from the administrative contact at the outgoing HEI, copied to the new home HEI and to the receiving DTP administrator.  

Transfers to HEIs not eligible for DTP funding

If the new host HEI is not eligible to receive AHRC DTP funding- either from the SGSAH or from one of the other UK DTPs - the student must be made aware that if they move to that HEI, they will lose their fee support & stipend. In such a case, every effort must be made to secure an appropriate alternative supervisory team either in the original HEI or elsewhere in the Scottish DTP, to enable the student to continue to be funded. If the student chooses to move to an HEI which is not eligible to receive ARHC DTP funding, the balance of the studentship will return to the Scottish AHRC DTP.

SGSAH, 15th October 2014

UK Research and Innovation Statement (Conditions of Research Council Training Grants page 16-17)

Transfers may be arranged where they are essential to the students training e.g. where a supervisor is moving & no appropriate alternative supervision is available. Transfers should be by agreement between the Research Organisations (RO) concerned, & must be in accordance with any additional Research Council requirements.

AHRC expect that the arrangements for such a transfer would include the relevant funds & that the RO, department or supervisor to which the student is transferring will provide a suitable training experience, including significant research activity in a research area appropriate to studentship.

The SD should be updated following a studenttransfer (noting that for doctoral students the ‘submitting RO’ must be changed (as well asthe ‘degree awarding RO’) to ensure that the correct Research Organisation issurveyed).

RO’s must not agree a transfer to an institution which is not eligible for the Research Council funding or to a course or programme of study which falls wholly outside the Research Council's remit.

If the transfer occurs after the end of the award but before the submission date, the student will be surveyed at the original RO.