Being Human Festival 2020: Call for Applications
Issued: Thu, 12 Mar 2020 10:56:00 GMT
Call for applications now open – Being Human festival 2020
Being Human is the UK’s only national festival of the humanities. A celebration of humanities research through public engagement, it is led by the School of Advanced Study at the University of London, the UK’s national centre for the pursuit, support and promotion of research in the humanities, in partnership with the Arts and Humanities Research Council and the British Academy. The 2020 festival will run Thursday 12 - Sunday 22 November 2020 with the theme of ‘New Worlds’. Each year the festival presents hundreds of free events in partnership with universities, research organisations and researchers.
Being Human festival believes that the humanities help us understand what it means to be human, and that new ideas in this area – from archaeology, art history, philosophy, languages, literature, history, classics, cultural studies, music, theatre and theology – should be open to everyone.
The core objectives of the festival are:
- to demonstrate the value of humanities research to society in the UK and globally;
- to encourage, support and create opportunities for humanities researchers to engage with non-specialist audiences;
- to embed and join together public engagement activities in the humanities across the higher education (HE) sector;
- to demonstrate the relevance of the humanities to everyday life.
The festival is now inviting professional humanities researchers at any level to apply to organise a public engagement event as part of the festival in November.
There are three main pathways to getting involved:
- ‘Open Call’: organise an activity that does not require funding.
- ‘Small Awards’: apply to Being Human for funding of up to £2,000 to enable activities.
- ‘Hub Awards’: apply for a larger institutional grant of £2,000- £5,000 to coordinate multiple activities as a Festival Hub.
Further details, and answers to some frequently asked questions are available on our website here.