SGSAH AHRC DTP Studentship - How to Apply

SGSAH AHRC DTP Studentship - How to Apply

The application process for the AHRC Doctoral Training Partnership Studentship is divided into two parts.

1. An application made to your chosen HEI. This application process is wholly run by your chosen HEI through an unique process. You should contact them as soon as possible to find out how they are selecting proposals for nomination, and their internal deadlines for applications.

2. Students who are successful in being nominated by their HEI progress to the second part of the process. Applications are then made through the SGSAH AHRC Scholarship Application System from 9am on the 1st of February 2018.

Applications are now closed.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible you will need to have been accepted on a PhD programme & nominated by one of our eight Doctoral Training Partnership members:

We work as a partnership & welcome proposals supervised across our membership.

To be eligible to apply you must also:

  • Meet the residency criteria set out by RCUK.
  • Be prepared to live within a reasonable distance of the lead HEI.  We define a reasonable distance as follows: a student ought if necessary to be able to travel to the University every day to work core hours (10am to 4pm).

The AHRC also expects that applicants to PhD programmes will normally hold, or be studying towards, a Masters qualification. If you are not in this position you may be able to use relevant professional experience to provide evidence of your ability to undertake independent research. See our Guidance for more details. 

Residency Requirements

The following is taken from the RCUK Conditions of Research Council Training Grants document, p17.

“For purposes of residence requirements, the UK includes the United Kingdom & Islands (i.e. the Channel Islands & the Isle of Man). 

  • There are residence requirements for research council funding for postgraduate research. These are based on the Education (Fees and Awards) (England) Regulations 2007 and subsequent amendments Normally to be eligible for a full award a student must have no restrictions on how long they can stay in the UK and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least 3 years prior to the start of the studentship (with some further constraint regarding residence for education).

To be eligible for a fees only award:

  • Students from EU countries other than the UK are generally eligible for a fees-only award. To be eligible for a fees-only award, a student must be ordinarily resident in a member state of the EU; in the same way as UK students must be ordinarily resident in the UK.
  • Note: These eligibility criteria are based on the Education (Fees & Awards) (England) Regulations 2007 & subsequent amendments.”

The UK Government confirmed on 21 April 2017 that Research Council studentships (including AHRC studentships awarded through the Scottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities) remain open to EU students starting courses in academic year 2018 to 2019, & that the funding support will cover the duration of their course, even if the UK leaves the EU.

Frequently Asked Questions

Please see our frequently asked questions by clicking here.