Creative Economies Studentships

Creative Economies Studentships

What are CES?

The SGSAH AHRC Creative Economies Studentships (CES) are a collaboration between SGSAH, AHRC, HEIs and organisations. They seek to connect HEIs, organisations and a PhD researcher on a project of mutual benefit to all involved. They present an opportunity to work on a fascinating research project, make connections with industry and access resources and expertise not normally available within a PhD.

The projects below have been identified by the industry partner ensuring that your work is fulfilling a research need already noted by an organisation in the sector. Working with an organisation outwith academia will offer unique training and development opportunities of benefit to the PhD and your own personal development.

Also, you will be eligible for the range of SGSAH training and development opportunities including our annual Summer School, Doctoral Showcase and student-led collaborative training funds as well as our entrepreneurial training for arts & humanities doctoral researchers.

Applications have now closed for the Creative Economies Studentships.


To be eligible to apply you must:

  • Meet the residency criteria set out by RCUK.
  • Be prepared to live within a reasonable distance of the lead HEI.  We define a reasonable distance as follows:  a student ought if necessary to be able to travel to the University every day to work core hours (10am to 4pm).

The AHRC also expects that applicants to PhD programmes will normally hold, or be studying towards, a Masters qualification. If you are not in this position you may be able to use relevant professional experience to provide evidence of your ability to undertake independent research. See our Guidance for more details. 

Residency criteria

The following is taken from the RCUK Conditions of Research Council Training Grants document, p17.

“For purposes of residence requirements, the UK includes the United Kingdom & Islands (i.e. the Channel Islands & the Isle of Man). 

  • There are residence requirements for research council funding for postgraduate research. These are based on the Education (Fees and Awards) (England) Regulations 2007 and subsequent amendments Normally to be eligible for a full award a student must have no restrictions on how long they can stay in the UK and have been ordinarily resident in the UK for at least 3 years prior to the start of the studentship (with some further constraint regarding residence for education).

To be eligible for a fees only award:

  • Students from EU countries other than the UK are generally eligible for a fees-only award. To be eligible for a fees-only award, a student must be ordinarily resident in a member state of the EU; in the same way as UK students must be ordinarily resident in the UK.
  • Note: These eligibility criteria are based on the Education (Fees & Awards) (England) Regulations 2007 & subsequent amendments.”

The UK Government confirmed on 1 December 2016 that Research Council studentships (including AHRC studentships awarded through the Scottish Graduate School for Arts & Humanities) remain open to EU students starting courses in academic year 2017 to 2018, & that the funding support will cover the duration of their course, even if the UK leaves the EU.